Kiryat Schmuel

Kiryat Shmuel is a neighborhood in central Jerusalem, Israel founded in 1926. It is named for Rabbi Shmuel Salant, the Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem in 1878-1909. The land was purchased with money from a charitable fund established in honor of the rabbi’s ninetieth birthday which also provided loans for building homes. Rabbi Zalman Yosef Halevi Soloveitchik acquired land size 54 acres located south of the older neighborhood Rehavia Order of Christian Catholic. The neighborhood plan has been prepared by the architect Joshua Salant The neighborhood was inaugurated in 1929 and most of the first residents were immigrants from the old settlement which began to be built condominiums at 3 floors intended for use as rental apartments. Prior to the Revolutionary War in the neighborhood were built about 50 houses. Over the years, the increase of the spread of the neighborhoods with in this area of Jerusalem changed the character of the neighborhood and this neighborhood almost entirely merged with the better known neighborhood – Rehavia. The regulations of the society stipulated that the members be at least eighteen years of age, and that they conduct themselves “in accordance with the Torah, both the written and the orally transmitted. Kiryat Shmuel is a centrally located neighborhood, bording Talbieh, Rehavia, Old Katamon and Rasco. It is near the Israeli Museum, the Hebrew University, The Botnical Garden, The President’s residence and more, it is within walking distance to the Great Synagouge, city center, Mamila and the old city. Today, the population in the neighborhood is mixed of national religious and secular jews. Public Transportation: bus stations: 7.