Har Homa officially Homat Shmuel, Har Homa is one of the most southeastern neighborhoods of Jerusalem. During the 1948 War, the hill was a base for the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, a position taken over by Transjordan's Arab Legion. The Hebrew name "Har Homa", lit. "Hill (of the) Wall", refers to a wall built on the remains of a Byzantine church on the mountain which was visible to Palmach forces stationed at kibbutz Ramat Rachel. Following the war, the Jordanian Custodian of Enemy Property planted a small forest of non-native pine trees there to prevent misuse of the land by local Jordanian residents. After 1967, the forest was maintained by the Jewish National Fund until many of the trees were removed when the housing construction began in 1997. Har Homa has secular, traditional, and Modern Orthodox Jewish populations. The neighborhood was officially renamed Homat Shmuel in 1998 after Shmuel Meir, a former deputy mayor of Jerusalem, who played an active role in its development before he was killed in a car accident in 1996, but the name Har homa Is the one commanly used nowdays. Public Transportation: bus stations: 7.