Givat Mordechai, is a Jewish neighborhood in southwest central Jerusalem, established in 1955 by members of Hapoel Hamizrachi, the forerunner of the National Religious Party, known in Hebrew as Mafdal. Most of the streets are named after leaders of Hapoel Hamizrachi. The neighborhood was named after an American philanthropist, Maxwell (Mordechai) Abbell of Chicago. Shahal Street, for example, is a Hebrew acronym for the religious Zionist leader Rabbi Shmuel Chaim Landau. This neighborhood, although centrally located, has a suburban atmosphere. The population is largely modern Orthodox, with some secular Jews. There are many synagogues and educational institutions in Givat Mordechai. The main campus of the Jerusalem College of Technology is located there, as is the famous “Yeshivat Hevron” that was relocated from Hevron. The Jerusalem Fire Brigade is headquartered in Givat Mordechai. Ezra Orion's outdoor sculpture "Stairway" (1979-1980) is located at the entrance to Givat Mordechai in the Elsie Bernadette Garden. It is widely known as "Sulam Yaakov," or "Jacob's Ladder", referencing the story in Book Beresheet ( Genesis).